Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rhymes Send My Head to Bed

As we were playing a game, one of my little firsties was just having a HARD time finding who was her rhyming buddy.  All of my other kiddos were being so helpful to help but not be a mother hen and tell her cheat her brain.  She finally said "Ms. Price rhyming hurts my head!" One of my other witty little kiddos replied "Yep, I bet Ms. Price is tired too and wants to go to bed!" Ha ha ha.....so true! I do feel like what else can I do to make these little ears be able to hear rhymes??!!!???  I know most will get it but for right now I am pulling out some more games to help.  The first I want to share is a hands down favorite!  All you need is a copy of the song and rhyming word cards.  I wrote mine on sentence strips and then laminated it and added velcro(I love Velcro!)....my kiddos learn to obsess love Velcro too!  Here is a copy of the words of the song (I think it is sung to the tune of Do You Know the Muffin Man but since I cannot sing who knows what I am actually singing it too...hahaha)
Do you know two rhyming words,
Two rhyming words, two rhyming words?
Do you know two rhyming words?
They sound a lot alike.
______ and ______ are two rhyming words,
Two rhyming words, two rhyming words.
______ and ______ are two rhyming words.
They sound a lot alike.
I attach Velcro to the backs of the cards and then to the blanks on the song poster....and they LOVE this!
Here is a picture and the cards. You need to make 2 copies of the cards.
The next 2 activities are simple.  The first is just an "I have...Who has?" activity and the other is just a sort.   The cards are cut out in pairs so they are either sorting the 2 words as a rhyming pair or a pair of words that don't rhyme.  This is very basic for those sweet little ears that are just now figuring out rhymes.
I would love for you to leave me a heart note and tell me what you do to help your little kiddos rhyme.

12 heart notes:

Jennifer K. said...

My kinders loved doing erase a rhyme activities whole group. I usually use the ones from http://www.jmeacham.com/erase.htm and draw them on my whiteboard or Smartboard. Then I read the rhyme and the kids have to figure out what we erase. I like it since they can only guess something that is in the picture, so it kind of gives them a little hint.

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

See Me Teach said...

i love your rhyming song! i will def be making that for a chart center for my kinders :) thanks!

Unknown said...

So cute! Love the rhymes! I am going to use velcro and make a rhyming center! Thank you for sharing! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Deedee Wills said...

Thanks Heather for letting me know about your post. I just added it to my blog post!!! I am in survival mode right now... Can you relate? I have not have a lot of time to blog stalk... must work that in!

Thanks again!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Heather's Heart said...

I can relate totally Deedee. We are doing a state assessment right now that is one and one and takes about 40 minutes per child! My tank is running low! =)

Karen said...

By the way your song does work for "Do You Know the Muffin Man". I really like it and can't wait to use it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your great ideas and printables! I teach First grade and most kids come in knowing rhymes...but this year... I'm gonna need help!

Sharon said...

Great activity--found through Pinterest! Thanks for sharing idea and printables.