Sunday, September 18, 2011

Because of You

I am dedicating my Sunday posts to sharing poems to inspire. Teachers often do not get the recognition for all they do and we know that our jobs are so much more than the lessons and curriculum we teach. We are nurses, counselors, parents, mediators, cheerleaders, and sometimes just loving arms where a child finds security and love.

My first group of First Graders are Seniors this year and like any first year teacher I feel as if I owe that class a HUGE apology because I didn't really know what I was doing. This past May one of those students came to see me. He told me out of all the teachers he has had I was his favorite. He told me that even when he was acting like a toot, he knew I loved him and expected better from him. WOW! My eyes filled with tears and my heart with a blessing. I knew God had used me in the life of this young man. At the time I taught him, I didn't know this but it was such a powerful reminder of the saying that they may not remember what you taught them but they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

We get so caught up in the pressures that are placed upon our shoulders. Everyone focuses on the standards and tests that seem to dominate what we do in our classrooms. We need to remember that we can make a difference in a child's life. Because of each one of us, a child׳s heart can be touched if we remember to look with Eyes of the Heart.

3 heart notes:

Tamara L. Chilver said...

Oh Heather, I LOVE your blog! Can I write about this post on TBA for next week's Time Out Tuesday? It is wonderful.

Heather's Heart said...

Tamara,

Your sweet words brought a huge smile to my face and tears to my eyes. I would be honored for you to say anything about my tiny little blog. Your sweet words have encouraged me to continue to share the things that are happening in my classroom.

Brenda Aimone said...

I love your poem. I'm going to share it with my boss and the rest of our teachers. Remembering the thoughts is this poem is what makes teaching with patience and love for each and everyone so much easier. Thank you! And lots of love to you!