Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bunny Treats: An Adjective Adventure with Plants

We love to get packages. We also go crazy for special visitors. On Wednesday morning we found this letter in the classroom.


We learned that a Mystery Friend sent us the letter. The letter told us to find some Easter eggs around the school. Hidden inside each egg was an adjective clue that would help us infer who sent the letter.


After finding all of the eggs, we came back to the classroom to read the clues.


Then, we inferred who sent us the letter. We also identified and colored the adjectives from the clues. We had some wonderful discussions about our inferences. One little one did think a camel sent us the letter. I worried at first that the Easter eggs would make them think that the Easter Bunny sent us the letter but the clue about brown fur kept them from inferring that. =)

After lunch, we came back to the classroom and found the TOP SECRET envelope and a package. Inside the envelope were 12 riddles about treats a bunny would like to eat and some that a bunny would not like to eat.


Here is an example of one of the riddles.



The kiddos LOVED reading these riddles and trying to solve which ones would be the bunny treats. I loved seeing the way they worked together. After we sorted the cards by which ones would be bunny treats, we talked about the things rabbits eat....PLANTS!!!

We just started learning about plants this week so this was a great way to continue our discussion about the parts of the plant. We talked about the parts of a plant and how we eat plants ALL OF THE TIME! They thought this was too cool. =)

We opened the package and found HUGE Easter eggs that were full of plant parts.


We then made our own plant! =)


sunflower seeds
carrots for the roots
celery for the stem
spinach for the leaves
broccoli for the flower
strawberries for the fruit



Click on the pictures to go check it out in my store.
You can also do the activities in this packet AFTER Easter.

It is on sale and so is everything in my store. =)


I am soooooo sorry for not getting around to share the winner of my giveaway.

Barbara Balius...check your email. =)

Thank you to everyone who entered. I loved reading about all of your blessings. Thank you to each one of you for being such a HUGE blessing to me.

I would love to hear what you think about this packet. Leave a comment with your email and I'll pick 2 people to win it later this weekend. =)

From My Heart to Yours,

31 heart notes:

Unknown said...

I love the way you get kids excited about learning. I'm thinking of all kinds of ways I could incorporate "mystery letters" into learning. It would be especially beneficial when we're doing things the kids aren't necessarily excited about... Thanks for sharing!!

The Polished Teacher said...

Such a cute idea! You make learning so much fun! Who doesn't love a good mystery?

thepolishedteacher@gmail.com
ThePolishedTeacher

Stacey Colegrove said...

Heather, your blog is awesome! I love your ideas about.. using riddles is so engaging. I just joined your blog and am following you on Pinterest! (I also pinned the 40 ways to tie a scarf!) :)
Thank you,
Stacey

Mrs. Griffith said...

Wow Heather, this is SO creative!!! Loving it. We are talking about inferences and I did an activity with eggs and clues this week and my kiddos LOVED it! Thanks for sharing your fabulous ideas.

Lindsay
For the Love of First Grade

Everything Education said...

How lucky your students are to have you as their teacher. You are a blessing to them! Beth bethangeli10@gmail.com

susanlulu said...

What an amazing teacher you are! You went "all out" to make sure your students had a fun and engaging experience of learning! You took a lot of time to prepare that resource. Thanks for sharing.
susanlulu@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Heather I love how you combined so many skills and concepts with Easter and plants! So many adorable ideas! I want to be in your class! :0)
Linda
AroundtheKampfire

MrsBalius said...

Heather,

It was so great to get your e-mail! I won, I won! Thank you for all of your support. I'll always remember, you were the first person to EVER post to my blog. And it was great to meet you at the blogger meet-up in Houston.

You are a blessing to me!

Barbara

Dana said...

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog! I feel so honored! I love your positive outlook on everything and look forward to your posts!

Polka Dots, Checks and Stripes

My First Love said...

You always go above and beyond for your students! What a fabulous activity! It's amazing how you were able to incorporate so many different skills into one amazing lesson. Thanks for being an inspiring teacher!
~Danielle
My First Love

Unknown said...

My kiddos LOVE little hunts and I love how your incorporates plant knowledge! Super fun!

Unknown said...

GREAT adventure, I loved reading about it! So darling!
You do a wonderful job!

Amy Howbert
Little Miss Organized
amyhowbert1@gmail.com

Daina said...

Great post! I am your newest follower! Thanks for visiting and following my blog as well! :)

Daina
Sticky Notes & Glitter: A First Grade Adventure!

Becky said...

What a fun idea! I am sure that my kiddos would love the mystery of this.

Becky
Compassionate Teacher

Jennifer said...

How FUN!!! Your kiddos are so lucky to have such a fun and engaging teacher like you!!

Jenn
Cuddle Bugs Teaching

Samantha Almaguer said...

Heather, I love this idea! I just started a unit about plants with my second graders. We've read books about plants, sang songs, made a diagram, etc... but I still don't think they quite understand how many different plant parts there are that we eat. This activity would show them examples of that in a really fun way! I am going to have to try something like this with my kiddos after we get back from Spring Break. Love it!

Samantha
Making Lemonade in Second Grade

Unknown said...

I LOVE your adjective eggs mystery visitor idea! What a great way to learn about inferring! Looking forwards to reading your next posts too!

Anonymous said...

This is just the cutest activity EVER! When we start our plant unit in a couple weeks, I am planning to use it. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Kristi
Fun in First Grade!

Second-grade-alicious said...

I love this idea!!! I'm so glad I stopped by here! You have some great ideas.

Unknown said...

Thanks for joining my blog and introducing me to yours! I love the mystery - will have to thinkk of more for my own kiddos - after our dino hatching of course :-)
Kim Clark

Unknown said...

HI Heather!
Wow! Your ideas are truly inspirational. This is so great and it really teaches the children how to infer. Thank you for sharing. A while back you won my $25 Target card giveaway and you never sent me your email address. Would love to connect with you to send you your gift.
Sherry

Kindergarten Milestones

Unknown said...

I adore this build a plant activity. I am teaching plants and plant parts not this week, but the next. I would love to do this. I just have a question for you. What did you put the seeds and flowers on? And what is the yellow stuff? Just want to make sure I get it all together so we can do it just right! Thanks so much!

Angie
Monahan Monkey Madness

Dr. Sherry Clements said...

I love your building a plant idea. You have many cute ideas. I love your blog. I'm your new follower.

John Albert said...

Fashion talks are trending nowadays. Your web blogs are defining fashion in a very productive way. The Movie Fashion