Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Gift Worth 25,200

I would LOVE to give you a gift worth $25,200....or just give it to you in cold, hard cash. Can I hear a CHA CHING! =)

There are movie stars that probably spend that much on a dress. Who knows what some athletes drop that kind of money for...?????

A warm, fuzzy teacher response would be how teaching is so much more rewarding than any gift of that value.

I am sure we all hit the Dollar Tree when we buy little gift for our kiddos' Christmas presents. But did you realize you give your kiddos a gift worth that value EVERYDAY????

Each day we have 25,200 seconds with our kiddos.

I know we all think and know that there is not enough time in the day to do everything that is expected of us. I know it is a daily...heck, a hourly race...to keep up in the curriculum.

I often feel like I am Cinderella before the Fairy Godmother comes when I visit other blogs. Everything always seems so magical. I know I do lots of fun and creative lessons with my kiddos but my days are still filled with booger picking, booty scratchin', Lucy Goosey, tootin' and giggling little kiddos.

Kiddos who ask you 10 minutes after lunch Have we been to lunch yet?

Kiddos who tell you they have a question but then tell you a story about their daddy when he drinks too much beer.

Kiddos who start rolling around on the rug when you are reading your favorite story in your best character voices.

Kiddos who go to work on the wonderful craftivity you worked so hard to create and pre-cut the templates for and.....they turn it into an Edward Scissorhands disaster.

I visit these wonderful and inspiring teaching blog written by amazing women who must be like Snow White because when they open their mouths they must enchant their children and have forest animals flocking to hear their magical voice.

I realize though that my kiddos will always love the lessons when we have visitors like Stretchy Snake, Pete the Cat, Chester Raccoon, Lips the Fish, the Letter Snatcher, and very soon Mr. Gobbles the rescued turkey who lives with Santa at the North Pole.

But am I creating and sharing with them the moments that let them know how much I care???

Am I giving them a few minutes to let them be the 6 and 7 year olds that we seem to forget that they are when we try and meet benchmark after benchmark and master standard after standard???

I realize that it will be in those 25,200 seconds that I teach a child about being patient, helpful, kind, and forgiving because how I react to what they do and say will be a lesson on how they can respond to others when they are faced with a similar situation.

I always try and remember the Conscious Discipline thought about being the person I want others to become.

It is in just a few of those 25,200 seconds that the reaction I make can cause a ripple effect that leads to a tsunami or a tiny pebble that barely skims the water. My words can and do make a huge difference.

When there is arguing, fussing, lying, shoving and defiance, what good does it do anyone if I immediately react by snapping at a child or fussing at them because of all the fussing?

It is in those few seconds before we open our mouths that have the greatest impact on whatever the situation is.

One of my favorite parts of Conscious Discipline is that it teaches children the tools they need to become problem solvers but the most valuable part is without a doubt the lesson it teaches me about how to help my children.

I want for the 25,200 seconds I have with my kiddos to be as productive as possible. I want them to be full of fun and engaging lessons. I want them to help my kiddos be the best 1st graders they can be.

I want them to help build a school family of helpful, kind, and patient individuals.

I want them to be little moments where I laugh with my kiddos and act silly.

I want them to be full of hugs and smiles

I want them to be little gifts to each child that let them know I care about them....even when they forget and are booger picking, fussy, Lucy Goosey Firsties.

It is in our gift of 25,200 seconds that a difference can be made Because of YOU.


This song always helps me to remember that what I want in my classroom I have to give....as well as to stop and think of others and the struggles they might be facing.


On to some turkey fun....
I love *freebies*. =)

Here is a fun activity I recently added to my TpT store.

Mr. Turkey is so scared. He is afraid he will soon be someone’s Thanksgiving dinner. As he tries to talk, he gets so nervous that he is never able to finish saying the words. All of the words he says are missing the final sound. Help him find the missing sounds on the feathers he has lost.

This is a fun activity that your kiddos will love. It is perfect for Word Study and as part of your Thanksgiving unit. A fun song and story help engage your children as they listen for the missing final sound in a word.


It is on sale right now.
Click here to go check it out! =)

I would love for you to leave me a heart note.

What gift can you give in those 25,200 seconds?

From My Heart to Yours,

28 heart notes:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post... and a lovely reminder! Thank you!

Kaitlin
http://kandclovegrade3.blogspot.ca/

Realistic Teacher said...

Heather you are so inspirational - what a great post my friend!! You've really hit the mark here - each second that we spend with our kids must count. It doesn't all need to be content focused because growing our students as individuals is just as important.

Thank you so much for sharing this post!! :)
~Realistic

Nancy VandenBerge said...

Heather, I always look forward to your posts. you are one of the most honest, and at the same time inspirational teachers I know. How did you know that I needed this right this very minute?? Blessings to you!!
Nancy
firstgradewow.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This must be on a lot of teachers hearts today, because I just read something similar earlier...I get so busy teaching (interventions, assessing, etc.)that I forget about the fun stuff in teaching/ And I often wonder am I relaly making a difference in their lives? Not just educationally, but making a difference in meaningful ways. So, thank you for this insightful look at myself.
Stephanie
Crazy About First Grade

Brittany Weidlich said...

What a great post! And I just love how you described yourself as feeling like Cinderella before the Fairy Godmother and how as teachers we sometimes we feel like there are other teachers who are like Snow White. Were you ever more right or what?! I totally have felt like that many many times. It is definitely nice to sit back and appreciate all the good, especially when there is more good out there than we may sometimes give credit to. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful post.

Brittany
Lovely Literacy & More

Becky said...

Wow, today was definitely the day I needed to read this. I love my kids, but sometimes they drive me crazy and I get too frustrated. I have been working to remember that God has blessed me with each one. This note was a great reminder and encouragement to me to think about my reactions more. Thanks for sharing!

Mandi Moore said...

Thank you for the sweet reminder! What a great encouragement! Thanks for sharing!

Mandi
MOORE Fun In Kindergarten

Julie DiBenedetto said...

Heather, You are my inspiration today! Your posts ALWAYS make me feel better and now I feel like I can PAY it FORWARD! Thank you for the encouragement!
Julie

Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

Kirsty said...

WOW!! I really enjoyed reading this SO much! You are so inspirational... Thank you again for finding my blog... Your blog makes me more and more excited to start my studying journey next semester - thank you!! :)

Dana said...

Amazing! What a well written piece. It put a smile on my face and anxious to get to school tomorrow morning to see those precious faces!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! I am visiting your blog for the first time and it is ADORABLE! I am your newest follower :)

Jessica
www.wildaboutfirsties.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Once again, you are a calming presence in the storm that is teaching! You were one of the first blogs I fell in love with and started following. Your calm, gentle way constantly reminds me of why I got into this profession in the first place. Thank you for the cute freebie! :)
Shibahn
www.landoflearning.wordpress.com

Erica said...

Thank you for your message. You are so precious!

Erica
Sprinkles to Kindergarten
erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

Kelly C said...

Heather, you were so kind to reach out to me, and now I see that you have done the same for many teachers out there. You have an eloquent way with words and marvelous timing. I look forward to visiting your blogs often. :)

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration! I love this post! Also thanks for being a follower :)

Michelle
from Well, Michelle?

Mrs. Sommer said...

Beautiful post! This is a great reminder of how we touch each and every one of those students lives every single day!

Sharon Dudley said...

Heather, what a fabulous post! Everything you said is so true. I really laughed at the part about kids asking when they're going to have lunch, when they've already had it! My kids do that with center time, and I try to be really patient when I say "Honey, remember when you went to science center?" I usually get a response like "Oh yeah."

You know, I try to put on my blog the things that really work. I just always feel like "Do people want to hear about the things that didn't work?" That might be a great idea for a linky party, to talk about those funny times when things didn't go perfectly, or the silly things that our kids do.

I just put some freebies up on my blog for Thanksgiving. If you're interested, stop by!

Sharon Dudley, NBCT
http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by! I really love this poem you have written! Today was definitely a day I needed to stop and remember how lucky I am to be a teacher with this group of students ~ some days are harder then others to remember that!!

handsonhappiness.blogspot.com

Stephanie

Being Inspired said...

Great post. I've gotta say I'd rather be in your classroom with "booger picking, booty scratchin', Lucy Goosey, tootin' and giggling little kiddos" who are truly respected, appreciated and valued and who love being in that classroom than be in a classroom full of Disney like perfection. :)

Compassionate Teacher said...

Thanks for the wonderful inspirational post! You are always so encouraging. I cited this post in my new blog entry because your encouragement is really helping me through a tough year of teaching. I would be honored if you would stop by my blog to read it. http://compassionate-teacher.blogspot.com/

Jungle of Learners said...

Thank you for such inspiring words! I think all of us, not just when we're teaching, get caught up in the hustle and bustle of each day and forget that our actions speak louder than our words. Thank you for the amazing reminder to not take the little moments of our day for granted.

Andi G said...

I LOVE your beautiful poem, Because of You! Thank you for sharing it. May I purchase a copy of it to hang in my room and share with my faculty? We all need to be reminded of this at the beginning of each school year. Thank you again for sharing it. I look forward to hearing from you.