Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hungry, Hungry Hippos

Brain pops.

I know all teachers can relate.

Where this one came from I have NO clue. ZIP. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

It started with a hippo and then sent my OCD brain to find this.

BTW- Most of my kiddos have never played this.

Meet Mr. Hungry Hippo.


He gobbles up letters when they get in his way. =)

Here is how you can play Hungry, Hungry Hippos with letters:

*Buy the game or just print the hippo cards and use magnetic letters.

*Write each letter of the alphabet on a marble. You will need a few extra marbles. I already have some but you can buy them at a Dollar Store, Wal-Mart, or a craft store.

*Play the game. After all of the letters have been captured, take the letters (marbles) and place them on the letter cards.


*Use the sentence stems to talk about the letters and letter sounds. This is a great opportunity for your ELL kiddos to develop language and for all of your kiddos to start learning how to speak in complete sentences.


I will be playing this with a small group because I don't trust a Firstie to keep marbles out of their mouth, ears, or nose no matter how many times we talk about being safe!

I would love for you to grab some Hippo fun!


I'll be back soon with Conscious Discipline and a GROOVY Pete the Cat giveaway that you won't want to miss! =)

I would LOVE for you to leave me a heart note and let me know what you think. Please let me know if you have any questions. =)

From My Heart to Yours,

32 heart notes:

Jill said...

I love it! I am always looking for different ways to teach things. This is most certainly one I'll be using. Have a wonderful day. Thanks.
Jill
Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Thank you! This will be great for my kinder kids!!

Heather (heathernnance@yahoo.com)

jodi said...

Too Cute!! I love Hungry Hungry Hippos! Cant wait to see more great stuff this summer!

If you get a chance, check out my new blog :
southernsweetieinsecond.blogspot.com

Thanks!

A Teacher Without a Class said...

Very fun! My boys loved the game when they were young--I just wish there was a way to make it a quiet game!

Jennifer K. said...

I am loving your toilet brush hippo! How cute is that? thanks for the idea!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

Miss Angel said...

This is a great idea! We had Hungry Hungry Hippoes in the class where I student taught, and the kids LOVED playing it during free time. It would be so much fun to get to play it during reading groups!

Miss Angel said...

P.S. I bet you could make this into a math game as well... They could either put their numbers in order, add them up, see if they can make number sentences, multiply them, etc!

Lisa R. said...

Oh my! How cute is this!! I always love the wonderful creations that you share with us. Thank you so much! :)

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Trish said...

Super fun Heather! I love making learning toys with stuff from the dollar store! I am going to try this summer to get more onto my blog and share!
Thanks for believing in me! You were my first follower! Once I get my blog looking better I will look for more followers.
Keep up the great work! I must get back to report cards! I still have 2 weeks left to work!

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

I agree many of my students have not played this game. Zero the Hero brought us this game to use early in the year to help us with counting. I like the ABC idea. Thanks.

Shannon Kirby said...

I think this is a fabulous idea!! I LOVE your creativity. I would love to do this with money amounts written on the marbles and then they could add up the money they've captured with their hippo. I think I just had a brain pop.......sorry. I get excited over things like this. :-) Thanks for always sharing!!
Shannon
sweetnsassyin2nd.blogspot.com

Jan said...

What a great idea- thanks for sharing! My Summer To-Do list keeps growing;-)

Unknown said...

Sooooo cute Heather! The little toilet brush animals are adorable and so perfect for Kinder! My kids loved Hungry Hippos when they were little!
Linda

AroundtheKampfire

Shannon Kirby said...

I'm baaaack!! I just wanted you to know that you inspired me to pull out an old game and spice it up. I'd LOVE for you to check it out. Thanks again, for your <3.

Shannon
sweetnsassyin2nd.blogspot.com

Chrissy said...

Your game is so cute! I loved the Hungry, Hungry Hippos game as a kid! I like this way of getting EL kids to talk too. Thanks for sharing!
_Chrissy
First Grade Found Me

Kara said...

Super CUTE! This will be great for the beginning of the year and my new jungle theme! Thanks for sharing!!

Jamie LaFuze said...

Cutest game ever!!! You are SO creative! I'm so sad we only have a week left and I don't have time to do this great game in my class.

S said...

Hi Heather! Thanks so much for following my blog and your kind words! Loving your ideas!

Shanyn
Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

Learning with Mrs. Brinn said...

You are so creative! I will have to try this out on my kiddos in the new school year! Thanks for sharing! hugs, Gwen

Hilary Lewis said...

Love this idea! I may have to tweek it a bit for my 2nd graders though! You are in the spotlight on my blog. Stop by to check it out!


You’re in the Spotlight!!

Hilary
Rockin' Teacher Materials

Jessica McQueen said...

You are fabulous! I absolutely love this---It is super cute! I think its perfect for all elementary grade levels. I'm going to be working in 5th grade and kindergarten this up coming school year. I can't wait for the kids to play.

For the older kiddos, I think I'm going to have them create words with the letters and I loved the math game idea as well (great idea Angel).

Jess

Mcqueenofthejungle.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Awesome! This is my all-time favorite game! Thanks for a new twist on it!

carriebeez said...

I love using these types of games for the classroom! Never thought of hungry hippos, will have t otry it. My favorites are Candyland and Jenga



The First Grade Derby