Friday, June 1, 2012

The Big Bad Wolf and Hoppin' Around

The Tornado Teacher Room.

No one enters because they might not come out.

My 2nd bedroom is scarrrrryyyyyyyy. And I am only a little bit ashamed about it.....okay, it does drive me crazy at times.

It is my project every Christmas and summer.

Since I have ZERO storage in my classroom, this is where my other teacher things breed and multiply.

I found a few things I wanted to share with you.

After Christmas, we start Readers Theater with my higher reading groups. I love the story of The 3 Little Pigs because I love my Mr. Wolf. Isn't he stinkin' cute??!!!???



One of the little piggies =)

All you need are toilet brushes, spray paint, fun foam, and google eyes!

This is another favorite for word study and changing and manipulating sounds.


I am sure this could be made a lot cuter but I just haven't made new ones. =)

Just buy some garden/work gloves, write the alphabet on them and cut the fingers off.

Do your kiddos ever tap their nose as they are adding? It is hilarious to watch some tap their nose as they are sounding out the word. Gotta love the mind of a Firstie! =)

Hoppin' onto the next thing.


Our frog life cycle with interactive writing.

I LOVE this! =)



Bubble wrap frog eggs! =)

Hoppin' along to Texas! 


Texas cinquain poems

My goals this school year is to take pictures with a camera and not my iphone! =)

Hoppin' now to our helpful heart bracelets.


All year long we worked to be a helpful heart by being a bucket filler. You can read more about our helpful hearts here. This is not a part of Conscious Discipline but ties in so easily and is so powerful. As we made our bracelets, we talked about that even when we leave Our School Family we can look at our bracelet and remember to be kind and helpful to others. Our bracelet can also help us remember all summer long that there are people who will always love us and care about us even if we aren't together.

One more hop-


My newest fur niece...she is so presh! =)

I would love for you to take the time and leave me a heart note. They always brighten my day and touch my heart!

From My Heart to Yours,

43 heart notes:

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness...you are so stinkin' creative! I love the wolf...but the pig is a very close second :)

And then there's the froggies....

Elizabeth
Fun in Room 4B

twilliams said...

Oh my gosh!! This is so funny! I just finished blogging about the Three Little Pigs because I made a unit to go with it on TpT. I love the wolf and the piggies. I will have to steal
uh, I mean borrow your idea! HaHa! We are doing Fairy Tales at the beginning of school and of course I am doing Three Little Pigs! Love this!

Teresa

2nd Grade Pig Pen

Lisa R. said...

I love those toilet brush puppets. I can't believe how cute they are!! Your pictures of your classroom are great. :) Those helpful heart bracelets are such an awesome idea to go along with bucket filling. Thanks for sharing your wisdom & ideas!

Lisa

Katie said...

Those toilet brush puppets are too cute!! What a great idea! I started laughing when I read your comment about kids tapping their nose as they add. I seriously almost DIED laughing the first time I saw one of my boys do this. It was hilarious! I'm a first year teacher and had never seen this before. I think he still does it now just b/c he knows it makes me laugh ;)

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

April Walker said...

I can totally relate to the other bedroom being the "dump-all" room. I have been trying to organize my guest room for 5 years. As soon as I make a little progress a pile of stuff lands there and the door gets shut.

April @ The Idea Backpack

Sarah said...

That pig made me smile. So precious! And it's a toilet brush! :)

Represent Texas!! Bluebonnets are the most beautiful flowers.

Your kitty niece really is presh.

Kaydi Shaw said...

I love the toilet bowl puppet ideas and the frogs-so cute! Thanks for following me!

Sara at school said...

Wonderful creative ideas!
I check often to see what you are writing about caring for your students - end of the year, I seem to need to be reminded of this a lot :)
My basement bedroom is probably as scary as your 2nd bedroom - and I'm working on it, too! Got a lot done today - hooray!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! I am in LOVE with those brush wolves and piggies! I'm going to have to borrow that idea! Love it!
Nicole
Rowdy in Room 300

Holly said...

Toilet brush puppets - what a hoot!

Hey, do you happen to have any good reader's theatres or a place to go to get some? I'm in the market!

Thanks for the sweet words of encouragement!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Penny Messick said...

Hi Heather! You are very creative! I love the big bad wolf, lol. I'm your newest follower!

Penny
www.teachthemath.blogspot.com

Aimee said...

There are no words to describe how much I love those Three Little Pigs characters. SOOOO cute!

Aimee
Primarily Speaking

Anonymous said...

Love the wolf and pig! Those bracelets are great. I will be doing that next year!

Delighted in Second

Jackie said...

Love your ideas! I also need to take time to read the Conscious Discipline book before August. Also wondering if you would share some of your Reader's Theatre plays. We also do these & then try to have a Mother's Day Tea to perform for our parents.
Thanks, Jackie jackie@acsnet.com

Eileen Griffin said...

That pig is darling. I love it. I love the bracelets too. I may borrow that idea from you. How do the boys like it? I think most of my boys would be fine, but there is always one or two… Thank you for the puppet ideas!

Unknown said...

I love the frogs and bubble wrap eggs! I'll be adding that to my long list of art projects I hope to do this year!

I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll check out my blog!

Greg
Www.kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com

Think, Wonder, and Teach said...

Oh Heather! Every time I read your blog you inspire me more. I can't wait to grow up to be a teacher just like you. LOL! Just a few more months and I will be in a classroom full time. I am so excited and nervous.

On Tuesday, I am ordering Conscious Discipline. I can't wait to read this book!

Misty
Think, Wonder, & Teach

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing, I love the wolf and pig and am planning on making them this summer.

AWWWWWWW I love the little fur niece. I am a cat person and can never resist a little furry face.

Jill bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I love the frog lifecycle board! Your blog is very inspiring and I too enjoy sharing with others who are called to teach, thank you for everything you do for our kids! Would you like to be a guest blogger on my blog? I am looking for someone to do a piece on Christian Education? Interested? Blessings, Christine
www.thecrazypre-kclassroom.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I am also following your blog and grabbing your button, would you please grab mine as well? Thanks,Christine
www.thecrazypre-kclassroom.blogspot.com

Miss Trayers said...

I actually cleaned out my extra room last summer, was very proud of myself and then....we moved to a new building and I wasn't allowed to take most of my stuff with me. Where did it go? You guessed it! I think it's inevitable as a teacher to have a room like that :). Love the bracelet idea--might have to steal that for next year.

NotJustChild'sPlay

LindaC said...

I love the frog art. That's my classroom theme this year and it would be something cute for the children to make for their parents for Open House. The wolf and piggie are adorable. Your fur niece is just beautiful. Kittens are so much fun.

LindaC

Fran Kramer said...

These are so adorable and I need to meet you to see how your brain really works! This is wildly creative and so hilarious. Thanks for your sweet words. I cannot imagine not being a classroom teacher. Freaky stuff...
Fran

A Teacher Without a Class said...

I love the garden gloves--it looks so easy and fun--right up my ally! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Jena Snowden said...

Hey girl,

I'm just checking to make sure the email I sent to your gmail account went through. Let me know! :)

Jena
1st Grade with Miss Snowden

Jordan said...

Love the wolf and pig! Great ideas to use with Reader's Theater plays! Very creative!

Jordan

Sarah said...

Heather - Your blog is great! I’m choosing you as a One Lovely Blog Winner! Have a great summer!
Check it out here: http://fcsandthensome.blogspot.com/2012/06/more-lovely-blogs.html
~Sarah Burk

Sarah said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I really wish I could come too! One of my good friends is getting married that night, so ther is just no way I could make that drive. I hope there will be another one this summer.

Yeehaw! Teaching in Texas

Unknown said...

Cute ideas! My two favorites are the sound 'finger tips' and the heart bracelets. Plus, your new fur niece is too cute!

~Heidi V.

DLDazzle said...

What cute ideas and activities you have. Thanks for stopping by my blog awhile back. I'm your newest follower. Sorry it took me so long to get back!!

Jennifer K. said...

I love your toilet brush wolf and pig! I will have to put toilet brushes on my grocery list now! That kitten is too darn cute too!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats in Kindergarten

Unknown said...

Hi Heather!! I am catching up on comments from my blog and wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you did as it has led me to yours! Your wolf and pig puppets are the most creative things I have seen- such an awesome idea and so stinkin cute!! I look forward to following your blog :)

❤- Stephanie
Falling Into First

Ps. I am having a big 100 Follower Giveaway and would love for you to come check it out!

Unknown said...

Love your blog...Now what I know what to do with my daughter's old Hungry Hippo game! JoEllyn
The First Grade Reader

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you
so much, However I am going through issues with your RSS.
I don't understand the reason why I can't subscribe to it.

Is there anybody having identical RSS problems?
Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond?
Thanks!!
my page > captain black

Anonymous said...

Quality posts is the important to invite the visitors to go to see the web site, that's what this web page is providing.
Feel free to visit my web-site :: www.Yourtobaccosstore.Com