Sunday, June 17, 2012

*Freebie* Frenzy

I know there are teachers out there who have turned their minds off. They are able to step away from the computer, blogs, and Pinterest. They don't dream of clip art and fonts. They are not crazy enough to already be thinking of August....but that isn't me! =)

It is time to bring back some *freebies* in case you missed them the first time! These are some of our favorite activities that we do the first few weeks of school. Later some of them will go into our reading game basket.

Our reading game basket has word study games in it that the kiddos may play when they have finished all of their work. It is one of the things on our When I finish, I can... list.


My kiddos LOVED this game! It was one of the games we kept in the basket all year long.



Here is an I have...Who has... game with rhyming words because you can never practice that skill too much!


The next 2 activities are differentiation strategies that I learned as part of my G/T training. In these activities, the children hold cards and have to order themselves according to the game's directions to create a human timeline. They have to do it without any talking! Let me just tell you that right away you learn who the Mother Hen of the classroom will be. They love this activity and it is also great to use as a transition for lining up.

The first one is ordering numbers from 1-20 using 10 frames. The second one is putting words in abc order. The words are from Dr. Jean's Phon-ercise. We sing that song LOTS and LOTS and use those alphabet words for TONS of different activities.





I found these fun glasses at the Dollar Store and made this game to help know the difference between letters, words, and sentences.


In September, we give an assessment called the TPRI. One of the assessment tasks tests deleting the initial sound. Let me just hear a Help Me Jesus. An example would be, what would the word sold be without the /s/ sound? A typical answer would be monkey. We start working on this skill ASAP. Between this and teaching rhyming words I usually have a headache. =)

This game has helped so much! =)


Here is a *freebie* you can use all year! 

We start the first day of school learning our word wall words. We keep our cheers in a "Cheer" box! =)

These are just a few of the whole group activities we do. I'll be sharing more about how we will start the year off with The Kissing Hand and Pete the Cat....plus building Our School Family.

Don't forget to check out my awesome Pete Rocks giveaway!

hop over here to enter


I hope you enjoy these *freebies*. If you grab them, I would love for you to leave me a heart note.

From My Heart to Yours,

101 heart notes:

Kindertrips said...

WOW! These are all things I can use with my students. You are so creative and sweet to share. Thank you so very much!
Jennifer
Kindertrips

~DeAnne~ said...

Thank you so much for all the things you share!! Your generosity is amazing!!

įƒ¦DeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

robyn said...

Thank you so very much for being so generous with the freebies! Wow! So sweet!!!!

Heidi said...

Heather these are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing these. I LOVE them all :)

Heidi
My (Not So) Elementary Life

Anonymous said...

These are great! I am speaking at several conferences this summer and would love your permission to share these resources and your blog with teachers in my sessions -- giving you full credit for them. I hope you're taking some time for yourself this summer. :-)

Jenalyn said...

Absolute AWESOMENESS!!!!! Thank you soooo much!! WOW! Can't wait to get using these next school year!!! Can I say WOW again?!!

Heather said...

Thank you for all these amazing resources and games!!

Heather (heathernnance@yahoo.com)

Samantha Shepherd said...

Thank you for sharing these, Heather! I know that they'll be great resouces as I complete my field experiences and student teaching (and eventually in my own classroom!). You can never start collecting too early... :)

Pam H. said...

Thanks so much for these resources - especially the rhyming one. Having taught first grade for over 20 years I, too, went through bottles of aspirin trying to teach rhyme. When I moved to second a few years ago I figured my rhyming headache was gone forever. Sadly, SO not true! I know your activities will come in handy! Thanks again.
Pam
My Second Home

Lisa said...

Your freebies are wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing.

~ Lisa
http://www.teachingkindergartenkiddos.blogspot.com

Storie said...

You are so kind-hearted to share all of these wonderful freebies with your readers. I look forward to using them next year :)
Storie
Stories by Storie

Susie Q said...

Thanks for sharing all the freebies. I too use the Cheer box! In my ten years, I've never seen anyone else use it. I guess great minds think alike, eh?

Learning With Susie Q susieqsclass@gmail.com

Unknown said...

These are soooo great!! Thanks so much! I am having Freebie Week on my blog, too!! Please stop by to get some freebies!! I am also hosting a raffle!! I hope you'll swing by!

((Did you get my email about Pete the Cat??))

A Day in First Grade

Amber O. said...

These freebies are fabuloso! I laughed out loud when you started your post by talking about how some teachers are enjoying their summer rather than dreaming about that first day of the next year...I am seriously disturbed just as you are Heather! I am faunching (sp?) at the bit to get into my room!!! BTW, is that a new background, or have I not paid very close attention when I'm blog-stalking you?? If it's new (or even if it's not) I love it:)

Carol said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful activities! I also have been spending WAY too much time so far this summer thinking about next year!
Carol
Still Teaching After All These Years

See Me Teach said...

i love all of your freebies :) i used the wild about rhymes cards all the time. can't wait to use the sound snatcher!

Trish said...

AWESOME!! Thankx Heather! These are fabulous! Your blog is my all time favourite!

Amanda said...

I absolutely LOVE your cheer box! Definitely going to remember that one. Do you have the rest of your cheers listed or for sale anywhere? Curious to know what the others are as the posted are adorable!

Amanda
Reaching for the TOP!

Jenna McKeel said...

Thanks for all of the freebies!
PS: If you get the chance, come check out my giveaway :)

Swimming Into Learning

Kelly Smither said...

Thank you so much for sharing your materials! I've started making a list of things to print out and use for next year! You ROCK! :)

Chrissy said...

These are fantastic! I've got to look up that Dr. Jean song- it sounds fun too. I laughed at your "help me Jesus" comment. There are definitely times like that for me too! Thanks again.
_Chrissy
First Grade Found Me

susanlulu said...

I love the letters you used for the titles of your games like the Human Timeline!!! These letters would be so cute for a word wall. Have you made the letters separate that could be used as a word wall? Thanks for your wonderful and cute freebies. Thanks for sharing your creativeness with others!!! Love it!
susanlulu@yahoo.com

Ms. O said...

We do something like that "human timeline" ... but in the library we call it the "human bookshelf." Kids have to order themselves by the author's last name of the book in their hand. Depending on age they have simplified paper book spines (E BRI, E LON, E SHA, etc) or the actual book.

Hmm. Maybe I shall have to post the simplified book spines over on my blog. Not exactly the same skill in terms of sounding out and reading the word ... but hey, the alpha order is the same and if the kiddos could find their OWN Clifford or No, David books ... wouldn't we all sleep better at night? ;]

Thanks for all of your great ideas!

Cindy said...

Oh. My. Goodness!! It's like Christmas in June! :o) Thank you SO much for all that you share with us!

Cindy
ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

sspeller said...

Such great learning activities for the beginning of the year! Thanks for sharing so generously!!!!

Chrissy said...

Thank you!!!!! I am in school mode, gathering my tools for the first month. You made my day! :-)
ReadWriteSing

Sophia said...

These are great! I love, love, love the sound snatcher game! So cute! Thanks for following my little blog! I'm going to be reading all about your Bingo games all night long! :)

Sophia
How Cute Is This!

Mrs. Gray's Kindergarten said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are so kind to share so many wonderful freebies. I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment about "monkey" being a typical answer!!

karen thomas said...

Thank you so much for sharing! You are so sweet. I can't wait to hear about how you use Pete and The Kissing Hand at the beginning of school.

Taryn Ryan said...

I haven't been able to turn off my teacher brain either! So many possiblilites for next year! :) Thank you so much for the freebies -- I love all of them! Thank you also for your posts about Conscious Discipline. One of the things on my list this summer is to read that book!

Sarah said...

I love the cheers and all of your great ideas! Thanks so much for your generosity in offering to give something away for my 100 followers. I will email soon : )

Mrs. Egley said...

Heather thank you so much for all of the wonderful freebies. I am always so glad to hear that others are just like me when it comes to non-stop blogging and planning for next year. I actually start planning for next year after spring break!!!!

Mrs.Egley’sKindergarten

iteachtoo said...

You are always such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing so generously and for your wonderful poems and uplifting words. You truly have a gift.
How did you learn to creat all of your work and what tip of program, Word, pages do you use to create all of your great work. How do you get all of the wonderful fonts?

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks for all the freebies! You have so many wonderful ideas. I love getting my emails with your blog updates! You always have fantastic ideas, thoughts, and freebies to share. :)

Thanks again!

~Heidi V.

Olwyn Hughes said...

Heather, Thank you for the Monday morning laugh. When you said that the typical answer is monkey I just about peed my pants laughing!!!! Love the freebies. Love your generous spirit. Love that your posts come straight to my email! Have a happy day!

Monica said...

Thank you so much for sharing!! Thank goodness TPRI went away for us...I sooo know your pain on that one. I ecspecially loved your word wall cheers. I just got my CD book, so I can't wait to start reading and going back to check out your "old" posts. Thanks again :)

Treasures for Teaching

mcoop1125 said...

Wow!!! Thanks for all the wonderful freebies! So cute and perfect for my class. You've given me a lot of activities to make this summer...so excited! You are very generous!
Michelle

Tangelia C. said...

I love your stuff! You are so gracious in sharing them with us as freebies! I can't wait to use them in my classroom!

Penny Lundquist said...

I love the cheers in the cheer box! I am so passing this on to my teammates! :) Thanks.

Penny@www.superlativescience.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all your freebies! I used your word wall cheer cards last year with my K's and they loved practicing their words with all the cheers.
Kathy Switzky
kswitzky@usd345.com

Erica said...

Oh my goodness, my printer is going crazy now. :) These are all so wonderful! Thank you for your kindness in sharing these freebies.

Erica

Sprinkles to Kindergarten

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. We do word wall cheers each day but this will have me so much more organized!

Charisse said...

Thanks for visiting my blogs! I can't believe I had not found your blog before. I just finished my first year teaching (Kindergarten) and used many blogs and the TpT store for ideas. Thank you for all your freebies. I will be following you now often! :) I also added the followers button on my main blog so you can follow me now too if you want.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Charisse
charisse76@gmail.com

Melissa Slocum, M. Ed. said...

Amazing! You have some great stuff to share. Thanks for following my blog too. I really appreciate it!

Unknown said...

Thank you Heather for all these wonderful freebies! You are amazing! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Brenda Aimone said...

Thank you, Heather! I think you are so talented and amazing. I love everything you share - especially your love for your children and the way you help them to love each other.
Thanks!
Brenda

Jan said...

So many great ideas and resources!! Thanks for creating and sharing:-)

beachliesl said...

Oh my goodness--I feel like I hit paydirt! (whatever that means)

The sad thing is, I'm supposed to be getting ready to walk out the door--I have to go back into the classroom to finish packing it up for the summer! Talk about not being able to turn off my teacher brain...
Thanks again for posting and sharing your fantastic freebies!

Liesl
beachliesl@yahoo.com

Lori said...

Thank you so much! My class will love starting the school year off with these cute games!
lraines@gmail.com

Unknown said...

You are so nice to share such amazing things. The letter/word/sentence sort is great. We really struggle with that in my class!

I am your newest follower! I hope you'll scoot over and check out my new "manly" blog about kindergarten teaching like a man!

Greg
Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

Miss Cosby said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my little blog. :) I have a 'follow by email' gadget to the left of my blog. Thanks for the heads-up on the freebies. Awesome! The firsties will love them..maybe as much as me. :)

Brenda
You Might Be a First Grader...

Keeping Up With First Grade said...

Thank you Heather for following my blog! I appreciate it so much!!! I absolutely love your site and your freebies are great. Can't wait to share them with my little ones soon!

Amy said...

Thank you so much for all of these! Sometimes my kids struggle with rhyming, so your games are perfect!!!!!

Alison Whiteley said...

Thank you. I have kids that struggle with rhyming and always on the look for new ideas. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
http://toad-allyexceptionallearners.blogspot.com/

Alison

Teacher Mom of 3 said...

Thank you for your very generous freebies! I can't wait to use the jungle rhyming one with my 5 yr old this summer! I also love your verse from Colossians! Lauren
Teacher Mom of 3

Jen's Kinder Kids said...

Heather~
These look awesome! My class always, always needs more rhyming practice! Thank you!
~Jen
Jen's Kinder Kids

Betsy said...

Wow, Heather! So many awesome ideas and giveaways!! Thank you!

I can't imagine why you'd have a headache...deleting s from sold totally sounds like monkey. Lol!

P.S. I sent you an email...I can't figure out why comments aren't showing in the live fee on my blog. #frustrated

Jammie Fewell said...

I am a HUGE fan! Your ideas are amazing and your messages are so uplifting! Thanks for all you do.

Jammie Fewell
www.firstgradestompinground.blogspot.com

Miss Jones said...

Heather,

Your blog is so cute! I am also one of those crazy people already planning for the upcoming year! I love your bingo game. We practice deleting phonemes in K, and it does make me say "Help me, Jesus!" I am just so thankful for that one token child that finally blurts it out for the rest of the class! :) I'm following your blog and hoping to find out what a linky party is. :)

Dede said...

Thanks for sharing these! My kids almost always wanted to do the "rollercoaster" cheer. It's a good one!

Dede
http://1stgradeevents.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful freebies! They will be put to good use!

Leslie - The Groovy Teacher said...

Hi Heather, your blog is so sweet :) I grabbed the Wild About Rhymes Freebie and LOVE it. Tomorrow is my last day of school but after looking at that rhyme pack I am already looking forward to using it when school starts up again.

Thanks and thanks again for following me.


Leslie

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for sharing your freebie with me (it's sooo cute!) and for joining my blog. I'm your newest follower!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for sharing your freebie with me (it's sooo cute!) and for joining my blog. I'm your newest follower!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for sharing your freebie with me (it's sooo cute!) and for joining my blog. I'm your newest follower!

Anonymous said...

OMG - thank you so much for all of the awesome freebies! I know my kindies will absolutely love these activities.

First Grade said...

My heart runneth over with graditude for your kindness in sharing so many freebies for the beginning of the year. Ane I truly believe, you must touch a child's heart before you reach his/her brain.

Pattie said...

Heather,
Thank you for all the freebies. When u mentioned TPRI I had to see where you were from. I am from San Antonio. But my school is doing a grant with Success for All so we don't do any of this right now. I can tell you I really miss it. When you were giving your example about leaving off the first sound and they answer monkey, I almost fell off my seat laughing. So true. Again, thanks for sharing all your hard work. I appreciate it.
Pattie

Lori L said...

You are a very creative & generous person...thanks so much for sharing these! I know I will be using them.
Lori

michellelee81 said...

Thanks for sharing the cute activities can't wait to try them out in my classroom :)

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful to have come across your blog! Thank you, ThAnK YoU, THANK YOU!!!! I am so excited to go back to work to make the materials that you so graciously offer! Happy Holidays!

Sherry said...

Here it is 6 years since you posted and I am thanking you for sharing this great I have...who has....rhyming set of cards. We'll use them this morning in Gr. 1

Thamos Liam said...

This website is best for those who are planning to construct a swimming pool. Here, you will get the exact information about the Swimming pool filtration plant. This website helped me a lot with the same as I was also planning for the swimming pool.

Stafi Lac said...

This website is offering the best deals for the purchase of Sewage Treatment Plant in Haryana, the technicians are also available for the proper installation and for further support regarding the workings of the plant.

Shawn Michael said...

Great post. Articles that have meaningful and insightful comments are more enjoyable, at least to me. It’s interesting to read what other people thought and how it relates to them or their clients, as their perspective could possibly help you in the future.

There's always something great to watch with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. Choose from popular movies and full seasons of hit TV shows. Enjoy a wide variety of choices, including Action & Adventure, Comedy, Kids & Family, Documentaries, and more. Plus, there are never any commercials.

While seeing generally, if you are looking for more content and entertainment, you can go for Hotstar. If you are always exploring something new to watch, you can go for Netflix. If you want to have the common ground between this two, you can opt for amazon prime.

Regards

www.office.com/setup 2016
www.office.com/setup
microsoft365.com/setup
www.office.com/setup
www.office.com/setup
microsoft365.com/setup
www.netflix.com/activate
www.netflix.com/activate
www.netflix.com/activate