Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Laugh Therapy and In Your Hand and On Your Heart

Several years ago I heard the song "Cletus Take the Reel" and about hurt myself from laughing so hard.


Since then, I have become a HUGE fan of Tim Hawkins....He is a hilarious Christian comedian. He even came to my little ol' town of Nacogdoches and my whole family went to see to see him. My nieces watch his dvd's ALL of the time. He has become my LAUGH THERAPY!!!!!!

Here are some of my favorites! Take a break and have a dose of laughter! =)





To end this post, I want to share again something I did that makes a huge impact with helping me remember to have a Heart of Patience. Tonight before I go to sleep I am going to write the initials of one of my toughies on the palm of my hand. In the morning and throughout the day tomorrow, I am going to stop and say a prayer for that kiddo every time I see his initials. If he is near me, I am going to hug him or rub his back or make some positive connection. I might glance at his initials and need to celebrate him at that moment. Since I will be constantly having a glimpse at those initials, I will be consciously making an effort to show him love and patience. I have done this throughout the year with different kiddos and even some grown-ups at school....it makes a huge impact on not only the kiddo but on me.

Hold them in your hand so they will always be on your heart. =)

I'll be back later this week to share what I hope will be a fun "brain pop". =)

From My Heart to Your's,

25 heart notes:

The Daily Alphabet said...

I love it, sometimes we do have to consciously make an effort with children.

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

Heather said...

What a great idea! I ordered the CD book and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can follow along with your posts and learn all that I can as I move toward a new school year. Thanks for always sharing!

heathernnance@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Heather, this is such a great idea! I am doing this tomorrow. In fact I am going to share this with the other teachers at my school during staff devotions! Thank you so much!

Delighted in Second

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

What a great idea!!

Jessica Stanford
Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com
I hope you'll join me for my first linky!

Anonymous said...

I love his Chick-fil-a one too! I like the idea of encouraging a kiddo. I needed a reminder as the stress of the last few days continues to come! Thanks for always posting something sweet and grounding.

Ashley

http://firstgradesmartcookies.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

What a great idea. I like that we can pray for our "enemies" if you want to call them that. The ones who give us trouble should be the ones we pray the most for. Great Idea Heather. Conscious Discipline is in my cart ready to be purchase. :)

Heidi
My (Not So) Elementary Life

Trish said...

Thanks for the laughs! I often Thank God for the Dollar store!! Many times I have commented to my husband I don't know how I ever taught without the Dollar store! LOL! Thanks!

Owl Things First said...

Heather, you've done it again...Given me a great idea to keep my firsties heart in my hand! My toughies initials are on my hand. I won't be at school tomorrow because of a sad funeral...52 year old father..My cousin in law and friend...but I can pray for my firsties even when I'm not there! Thank you for all you do!
Jenny
Owl Things First

Anonymous said...

I agree we can make a difference if we put not only our mind but our heart to it!

Great post!!!

The Kindergarten Goonies
www.kindergartengoonies.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

You are always full of inspiration! Please plan a Texas bloggy meet up! : )

Love to Learn said...

Hi Heather,
Thank you so much for your comments on my blog. I'm quite new to this and am always so happy to find new blogs to follow!
- Love to Learn, 2012

April Walker said...

I would love a Texas meetup! I have really enjoyed all of your inspirational blog posts and encouragement. Have you read 1000 Gifts? Ann Voskamp at aholyexperience.com is amazing; so ispirational and always profound. I blogged some on how my mom gifted me the joy of laughter this weekend on my personal blog at http://acozycornertocalmthechaos.blogspot.com/.

Many blessings,

April @ ideabackpack.blogspot.com

Alicia Eldridge said...

Alicia Eldridge from The First Grade Parade comment list :) Thank you so much for the "clip art" help! I am new to all of this and trying to figure out how to create cute and fun printables! So glad I found your blog too! Totally bookmarked now! I love seeing all of these creative blogs!! How do you busy women find the time??? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you and receiving those if you can find them! I will make some cute handouts with them and make sure to give you the link for them. THANK YOU!!!
anewae2012@gmail.com

Alicia Eldridge said...

Alicia Eldridge from The First Grade Parade comment list :) Thank you so much for the "clip art" help! I am new to all of this and trying to figure out how to create cute and fun printables! So glad I found your blog too! Totally bookmarked now! I love seeing all of these creative blogs!! How do you busy women find the time??? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you and receiving those if you can find them! I will make some cute handouts with them and make sure to give you the link for them. THANK YOU!!!
anewae2012@gmail.com

Alicia Eldridge said...

Alicia Eldridge from The First Grade Parade comment list :) Thank you so much for the "clip art" help! I am new to all of this and trying to figure out how to create cute and fun printables! So glad I found your blog too! Totally bookmarked now! I love seeing all of these creative blogs!! How do you busy women find the time??? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you and receiving those if you can find them! I will make some cute handouts with them and make sure to give you the link for them. THANK YOU!!!
anewae2012@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I'm going to try the initials thing tomorrow, also. There is one who had an especially sad morning today, and could some extra love.

Thanks for sharing the idea. ~Heidi V.

Jill said...

I love, love, love the initials on the hand idea. I have a fairly new child who responds well to love and basks in any kind of compliment. His last teacher didn't like him, can you imagine? I feel there is always something to like and then something more to find. I appreciate your posts sooooo much.

Happy Day
JIll bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Erica said...

I love the songs and sketches from Tim! He is so funny. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Erica

Sprinkles to Kindergarten

Unknown said...

Those songs are hilarious! You made me smile. Thanks!
Adrianne
The-Tutor-House.com

Linda Nelson @ Primary Inspiration said...

Thank you for another sweet post, Heather! I absolutely love the initials on your hand idea! I also pray for kiddos as I tie their shoes - pray for the little one, and also for the strength to tie - and to teach- with a servant's heart!

I loved the videos! Just dragged my husband in to watch the government one, which I knew he'd love. Then I made him stay to watch the "never say to your wife" one! Married 37 years and still laughing together! Thank you, Lord!

Linda

Eileen Griffin said...

This was just what I needed to read. I have been struggling all year with one particular student (and his mom) and when I tried this on Wednesday, it worked. Thank you for the gentle reminders that some times our tough ones need extra love and that we, as teachers need to make that conscience effort to ensure they receive it. This also reminded me to ask God for his daily and hourly guidance and help;0). Thank you, Heather!!! Your posts are like mini spiritual retreats. I love them.

Holly said...

OH my goodness - LOVE these. Why oh why did you fall off my radar?!?!?! BOO!!!!!! But yeah, I'm back, you're back, we're back. Love ya!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Susan Case said...

Love your posts! You fell off my radar for awhile too but making sure you are back on. Almost summer!