Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Angel in the Classroom....and a small obsession

Each day our little ones come to us with smiles, hugs, burdens, and sometimes hurting hearts and hidden bruises. For many, we can tell right away what kind of morning they are having. Some are so excited to just be there. Some seem to be a little sleepy or grumpy. Some are hiding behind a facade.

To be honest, we may not always know what burdens each one of our kiddos carry with them to school. We often think that only our kiddos who are economically disadvantaged are the ones with broken homes and problems. Sadly, child abuse can touch any child or family...some families are just better at hiding it.

This may not be an appropriate topic for a blog post but it is too near and dear to my heart to not say anything or share my poem.

I never want to make excuses for a child's behavior but many times knowing what might be going on in their lives helps us to better understand them. Remember, our kiddos are either extending love or calling out for love. We might be the only one to really stop and listen to what their behavior is telling us.

I have taught kiddos that it was very obvious the abuse that was happening and some that left me shocked when I found out. I guess I think we just need to love each kiddo as if we are the only one who does.....and for some kiddos this is easy. Others, we will have a hard time doing so. I know God put each child in your life and my life for a reason.

You may not realize that each smile you give a child erases a frown someone else gave them. Each hug you give might erase the hands that caused bruises and hurt. Each I love you that you tell them might erase hurtful and ugly words. YOU are either seeing that child as a blessing to your life or a burden. Conscious Discipline shares how what children hear NOW becomes the inner speech for the rest of their lives.

I believe we all have the chance to be a guardian angel here on Earth and that through us, we can share of God's love. This is one of the very first poems I wrote because one of my teachers was an angel in the classroom to me.


You already are touching hearts in a way you may never fully understand.

Now, my obsession.....

I did not realize how bad it was until I pulled out my BOX of Easter eggs!










Aren't some of those the cutest Easter eggs ever?!!!???? The butterflies and flowers aren't eggs but are cute containers!

The fish ones I am going to use at the beginning of next year for all of the Lips the Fish activities we do. =)

The frogs and ladybugs are still waiting for me to have a brain pop on how to use them.

Most of the eggs came from Big Lots....we won't discuss how many I bought of each.

These eggs are not even including the small, regular or jumbo sized eggs I also have.

Since I have a small egg obsession, here is an egg *freebie*! =)


Now for a craft. We are going to have some sort of writing activity to go with these. The pictures do not capture how cute and amazing the effects look in person.





We traced an egg on tag. The kiddos then decorated their egg with squiggle lines or polka dots. They then painted the egg with corn syrup that I had dyed different colors with food coloring. They had green, yellow, blue, purple, and pink (a very, very light red). We painted these on Friday and they were dry by Monday. A few eggs that had a thick coat of corn syrup took until Tuesday to dry.

They are really cool looking in person. They are very shiny and swirly looking. =)

My kiddos are bonkers for them. They keep going by and stroking their egg! =)

I hope this post touches your heart and leaves you with something to bring to the classroom tomorrow.

Thank you for blessing me in so many ways! =)

49 heart notes:

Kristin said...

Those Easter eggs are adorable!! The plastic ones and the art project ones! LOVE!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Jennifer said...

I love your cute Easter eggs!! Thanks for sharing your Egg Sort and Easter craft!

Jennifer
The First Grade Dream

Julie said...

What a beautiful poem. I was reminded of this just today when I was talking to one of my kiddos about where his library books were. He hadn't turned them in in a while! He told me they were left in his Dad's car and then I remembered his Dad was recently sent to jail...
It is so important that we consider these things with our littles!

Pam said...

I loved your poem. We had a leadership team meeting and talked about the children at our school. so much poverty... so much chaos in their lives. Our little world at school may be the only place where they feel safe and loved. Thank you for reminding us the real reason we teach! :)

The Hands-On Teacher said...

Heather, what an amazing reminder and lovely poem. Thanks for sharing!
-Marie

Shannon said...

Ohmiword! You left a comment on my blog and I am soooo glad to have found yours!

I LOVED the poem! I tell my kiddos everyday that I love them. In the morning, I greet them with hugs and look at each one and say, "I am so happy to see you today." I end the day by telling them I love them. I hope that it carries the ones who have it tough until they come back to school.

All your eggs made me laugh! I just came back from Walmart and Target with a bunch! I am ob.sess.ed, too!

Thank you soooo much for the wonderful vowel sort.

I am your newest Blog Stalker!!

Shannon
Kindergarten Hoppenings

Elyse said...

So inspiring! Every teacher has a child in their class that follows that exact description. Sometimes the ones who are hardest to love, need your love the most :-)

Elyse @ My Life With a Cherry on Top

sheila said...

O I love your eggs!
This post is exactly what I needed tonight...Its the week before spring break and Oi think the students (and this teacher!) Are runnin short on sleep and gearin UP for their holidays! Lets just say its QUITE A WEEK! But I just want to have patience and show them love...praying I can and tomorrow will be a new, better day! Thanks for your wonderful, encouraging posts!

Unknown said...

Your poem really touched me Heather. It is an important lesson to remember each day as we greet our kiddos. Thanks for sharing.

Pamela
First Class Teacher

zputty said...

Thank you so much for your posts - the reminders of who we are from the children's point of view are the most touching for me. I have put more than one of your poems in our teachers' room - we having thinking spots strategically placed in the bathrooms :-). Thank you for your compassion and reminders to all of us to use our positions for touching children in their hearts.

Valerie

Heather said...

Aww I love your bunny! Thanks for stopping over and following me at Finding My Way. I appreciate it :) I now follow you too!

Tangelia C. said...

Your poem is wonderful. I'm glad your teacher was an angel to you so many years ago causing you to become an angel that many children need. Thank you for all that you do and say!

Lauren Augustine said...

You poem and your post touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Its a good reminder and something to think about when it's just "one of THOSE days" as a teacher. :) Thank you!

vicky1970 said...

Hi heather,
Thanks for sharing -- the Lord put you right where you need to be. My first year I taught in an inner city setting with foster homes, abuse, 98% spanish speaking, oh so much sadness and gangs. I was engaged and we moved right after that year. I still pray for a few of they little ones who had mom in jail. They are adults now and I wonder how they are doing. You are a blessing to many and yes a guardian angel. I don't come across hardly any of those things now that I teach where I live but I still think about those little ones. GOd bless you and your wonderful ministry. Those kids need you and are lucky to have you. xoxo
Vicky
Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

vicky1970 said...

Hi heather,
Thanks for sharing -- the Lord put you right where you need to be. My first year I taught in an inner city setting with foster homes, abuse, 98% spanish speaking, oh so much sadness and gangs. I was engaged and we moved right after that year. I still pray for a few of they little ones who had mom in jail. They are adults now and I wonder how they are doing. You are a blessing to many and yes a guardian angel. I don't come across hardly any of those things now that I teach where I live but I still think about those little ones. GOd bless you and your wonderful ministry. Those kids need you and are lucky to have you. xoxo
Vicky
Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

Celia Jayne said...

I've really been stunned by all the children I've met since I've been teaching who may not be abused, but so desperately need love and affirmation. I've come to believe that is the most important part of my job. Thanks for all you do!
BTW- those Easter eggs are so adorable, I kinda wish you hadn't posted about them cause now I need to have my own!
Miss Wonder
www.biglearnin.blogspot.com

Kelley Cirrito said...

The eggs turned out so good! I hope you are having a great! I can't believe it is almost Friday!

Teaching Little Miracles said...

Heather,

Love your poem! Such a great reminder of the impact we can have as teachers. Thanks for sharing!

Crystal

Rachel Seymour said...

I LOVE all the eggs! How cute!! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm having a giveaway until Monday night so come back and check it out! :)

Rachel
A-B-Seymour

Joell W. said...

Thank you so much for the reminder. And the egg art! I can't wait to try it. Oh, and thanks for being my very first follower. :) I'm clear up to 3 now!
Joell
http://totally-terrific-teaching.blogspot.com/

Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

I know it took me awhile to get back to you and I am sorry! Thanks for stopping by! This is a great post (I taught middle school and high school and your words apply there as well) and an adorable blog.

Kristin DeYoung said...

Hi Heather,
Your blog is adorable - I love it! Thanks for sharing with me, and for following me too!! :)

Kristin
www.dominicandeyoungs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Those eggs are so cute! I saw your comment on my page! I really appreciate you stopping by! I wanted to let you know that i do follow your blog through my twitter account. I am not sure how to combine the two so I have two separate accounts... Anyways like always I really enjoy your kind words and inspiration!

Ashley

http://firstgradesmartcookies.blogspot.com

Lyn said...

Heather, I love your corn syrup eggs. I'm going to have the children paint flowers like that when we get back from break. I also love your poem and what you wrote about understanding the struggles the children are facing. I am now teaching in a Quaker nursery school and a fundamental Quaker belief is "there is that of God in everyone." Thinking of that sometimes helps when I am confronted with a difficult child (or parent). I'm so glad you found me so I could find you.:) Your students are clearly so lucky to have you as their teacher!

iteachtoo said...

Thank you for your beautiful poems and the great Easter freebies. I can't wait to use them this week before Spring Break!

The Reading Owl said...

The ladybugs are soooo cute!:) What a fantastic blog. Thanks for sharing Heather.

best wishes,
Trish @

Katie Knight said...

Heather, thank you for your beautiful poem. I was near tears before reading it, and had to stop half way through.

I know that you know this, but Jesus was there with you for every bruise. He took on each bruise as a healing act for you and forgivness for the abuser. He caught each tear you cried. He gave you that teacher because he knew her hands were available for him to use. He has been with you through all things and has worked them into good.

I hope He uses my hands, smiles, and words too. Thank you for sharing your heart with us.

Kristen said...

I am going to have to try the project with the corn syrup. Never had heard of that before! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! I have re-followed you, just in case I disappeared! :)

Kristen
socalteacherstuff.blogspot.com

Jamie Woodward said...

Super cute! And thanks for the freebie, can't wait to use with one of my reading groups!

Jamie
Oh First Grade Friends

Michelle said...

Heather, BEAUTIFUL words. Thanks for sharing & thanks for stopping by my blog today. :-)
Michelle
http://nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com/

Darleen Chautin said...

I am your newest follower. Your blog is just precious :)! Thank you for being a follower of Third Grade Love. I can't wait to use your activities. They are so cute!
Darleen Dufour
Third Grade Love

First Grade Funtastic said...

OMG!!! I LOVE that someone else is obsessed with eggs as much as I am! I just bought a bunch more chicks and carrots at The Dollar Tree over spring break. I will be posting ways that I use them this week. A lot of times I will use them for compound words activities or for synonym and antonym activites. I will put one half of a set of words in it and they have to find their match! Love your blog! :)

Denise said...

I love the egg bugs! We are doing insect research now and these would be such a cute thing to make!

Deedee Wills said...

A)Love the poem
B)Love your sweet little bunny!
C)Love your Easter eggs! Pinned them!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Gina Williams said...

I'm glad you stopped by my site and made me aware of yours. You have some really great ideas throughout your blog. Looking through it made me miss teaching even more. I am so grateful for the opportunity to stay home with our daughter, but not a day goes by that I don't think about getting back into the classroom. It will happen one day...

Stacy said...

Hi Friend! I want to use these today with my kiddos as a pre break celebration craftivity!! Quick question for the not so crafty teacher (sigh...) whatdid they decorate with? Crayon or colored penciL?

Love you and Miss you!!
Stacy
2ndgradeparadise@blogspot.com

Mrs. Wright said...

Your post really touch me and was something I needed to hear, thank you for allowing God to use you. Keeping sharing :)

Ashley said...

Heather! Cute post! I just updated my blog so that you can follow me right now. I think you found me through the Linky Party I'm over at freefallinintofirst! I'm going to start following you too, thanks for visiting!

Mrs. Slyter said...

I needed to hear that today... thank you SO much. (And, the eggs are too cool!!)
~Christy

Ms. King said...

I love your easter egg craftivity! I wish school was in session this week so I could have my kiddos do this :-( I'll have to figure out how to incorporate corn syrup painting in another activity soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

~Asha

http://thenewteachernoggin.blogspot.com

Katie Smith - I Want to be a Super Teacher said...

Wow Heather! What fun ideas! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to catch up on many of your blog posts.

Katie
I Want to be a Super Teacher

Mrs. Watermelon said...

I love the e sort! Thank you so much for the awesome freebie!
-Jessica wonderfulwatermelon.blogspot.com/

Meredith Sanders said...

Heather,
This blog is so touching. I truly believe that we must reach their hearts before we can reach their minds. There is something to be said about good rapport with students. Trust and love are the key. I look forward to reading more of your posts!
Meredith
www.sanders6thgrade.blogspot.com

Shop hoa TPHCM said...

Hoa chúc mừng khai trÆ°Æ¡ng cá»­a hàng hay hoa khai trÆ°Æ¡ng giá rẻ...chúng tôi shop hoa tÆ°Æ¡i đẹp cung cấp Ä‘a dạng các sản phẩm hoa khai truong Ä‘ẹp nhất.

Hoa tang le đẹp chia buồn kính viếng đám tang với giá rẻ đẹp nhất hiện nay. Tất cả những vòng hoa tang lễ của shop sẽ được giao đến tận nơi nhanh chóng nhất.