Monday, March 12, 2012

Booger Monkey, Purple Cow Head and *Freebies* Oh My!

Booger Monkey and Purple Cow Head are names that sent 2 of my kiddos into a snotty, crying puddle at the beginning of the year. It does not matter how illogical and silly it seems to us that anyone would get upset over this but they did and other little kiddos do too. Before Conscious Discipline, I would have said something about not being a monkey with boogers so it was okay and you just need to ignore that friend. Or I would have told them to go use their words and tell that person that you didn't like what they said.

Part of CD is helping children find their BIG VOICE. There is even a Shubert book that goes along with teaching children about their big voice.


(The Shubert books are a great place to start if you are wanting to do more CD in your classroom.)

Your big voice is not a yell or mean tone of voice but a very firm and confident way of letting someone know you do not like what is happening....it is your I mean business voice. You will need to help the children practice using this voice and making eye contact with whoever they are talking to. 

We read the book and then think of things that have happened in our room and we model what we would say. Just telling a child to go and talk to that person and use their words is really not helping to solve that problem for many reasons. One reason is that if the name caller was being mean or hurtful the child might be scared to go talk to them. Another reason is they have no clue what to say or the words they do know may not be very nice.

At the beginning of the year when a child came to tattle tell me someone called them a name, my first response was "Did you like it?". They looked at me like I had lost my mind and said no. I then told them to go to that person and say "I don't like it when you call me Booger Monkey. Please stop. My name is Heather." The child saying the hurtful thing then needs to answer that child with an okey dokey or I'm sorry or I can do that.....while making eye contact. 

This will take lots of you modeling and maybe even going with them at first to talk to that person. They will get it though and this eliminates a HUGE amount of tattling because they learn to stand up for themselves.

After talking and helping the injured booger monkey child, you then need to go talk to the child that was being hurtful. Most of the time there is something that happened that set this child off...and I am NOT saying that there is an excuse for hurtful, mean behavior because there is not. This involves mirroring back to the child what you noticed. For example, your arms are folded like this and your face looks like this. Your body is telling me that you are mad or frustrated . What happened? After you get to the root of the problem (like the booger monkey child took the pencil from the naming calling friend without asking), you help that child find a better way to solve the problem. For example, help the child practice saying "I don't like it when you take my pencil without asking. Please give it back to me."

I hope this gives you an idea of what you can do if you have a little one in your classroom who might be hurtful with his or her words at times. If you have any questions, just email me or ask in your heart note and I will try my best to help you out! =)

On to the *freebie*! And for those of you who asked, I create my activities in PowerPoint. I don't know if there is something easier but it works for me. When I finish, I save it as a pdf and then upload it to Google Docs. =)

My kiddos love dice games. This is a fun activity they can do after finishing other activities. All they do is roll 2 dice, add the numbers, and trace the sum. We play until all numbers reach the top...and it helps some who still have chicken scratch handwriting. I really think some of them like to try and do messy handwriting so I can bawk, bawk like a chicken and hand them back their work. =)


Here is a missing addends game. We are going to use some leprechaun gold to help us solve the problems. =)

My kiddos love sorting. We have worked on several addition sorts focusing on less than, equal to, and greater than. Here is a sort focusing on that with subtraction.



This little activity is putting leprechaun words in ABC order. I put 2 of the sorting words on 1 page to save paper. After they put the words in order, they are going to write as many words as they can in a sentence. I usually have my kiddos color those words with a crayon.

I hope you can use these with your kiddos. If you have any requests for things you might be wanting, please let me know and I'll see what I can do! =)

Thank you for always leaving such sweet and encouraging heart notes. Keep stopping by...I have the beginning of an inspirational poem rolling around in my head. =)



57 heart notes:

Beg, Borrow, and Teach! said...

I'm in the process of reading all your CD posts and I'm your newest follower. I'm glad you reached out to me. I need all the advice I can get right now!

Krista Happ said...

I love the Schubert series! I use all the books at the beginning of the year with my students to set our classroom climate! I even have a "safe place" in our classroom that they can go to as it suggests in the stories if they need! So glad you are sharing with others, because I think it really works!

The Second Grade Superkids

Pocketful of Littles said...

thanks for sharing


I would love for you to join be in all the fun and follow my blog!-Ms. Patterson
Pocket Full of Kinders

Mrs. Lindsay said...

That was a great post! We are trying to come up with some ways to deal with bullying in our district. I think helping student's find their "big voice", as you put it, is a great first step! I'm going to have to check that book out. Thanks for sharing!

Abby said...

I've never heard of Shubert, but I can't wait to put him in my Amazon cart! :)

Love the St. Patrick's Day activities too. Thank you!!

Abby
Third Grade Bookworm

Paige said...

Thanks for sharing your cute freebies! Also, thanks for the book recommendation!

sheila said...

Your blog has so many great inspirations! Thanks!
~Sheila from randomthotsfromateachersdesk.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I love all the freebies you post! However, this time around, I think the dice game is my favorite! What a great way to work on fine motor and math at the same time! Thanks!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Anonymous said...

Thank You for all of your "freebies"! They are great and my students love them, and so do I . I am a 1st year Kindergarten teacher with common core standards and most of your post relate to skills I need to teach. You are a blessing! Thank You again.

Amber H.
TN

luckeyfrog said...

Love these! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny
Http://www.luckeyfrogslilypad.blogspot.com

Reilly said...

I LOVE your blog design! Who did it? I need a bloggy makeover myself! :)Thanks for joining my blog, I am your newest follower, too!
~Mrs. P @ The Polka Dot Owl Blog

kinderpam said...

Love, love, love your freebie activities!
Thank you so much for all our work on them.

Allison Officer, M.S.Ed said...

I am so glad you stopped by my blog. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I just figured out today how to check my comments! I am still SO new at this! I LOVE your CD posts and it sounds very much like how I teach my kiddos with special needs to deal with conflict and how to treat others. Great stuff!

Susie Q said...

I love all your St. Patty's Day ideas -- so cute. Thanks for sharing.

Run Teacher Run! said...

Hahaha...love your blog post title!

I nominated you for a Top 10 Blogger Award! I love visiting your blog! Thanks for all of the inspiration.


Mary Beth
Run Teacher, Run

Cupcake said...

Love these freebies, you're awesome!! Thank you for always leaving super sweet comments on my blog :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Traci Clausen said...

Booger Monkey is pretty creative... you have to give him that! haha
Thanks for sharing your freebies.
❤Traci❤
Dragonflies in First

Nancy VandenBerge said...

Heather, I finally had a chance to check out your blog and I love it!! You are an inspiration and I am positive that you are a blessing to your students!! Keep up the great work!!
Thank you for sharing all your fun activities. I am just learning how to embed some of my things. I may use you as a sounding board to see if I'm doing it right!! Thanks!!

Owl Things First said...

Heather, you are a blessing! Thank you for leaving kind words of encouragement on my blog. I love your dice game and I can't wait to use it. I have a couple of students who really struggle with number formation....This will help. Saying a prayer of thanks for you!
Jenny

Holly said...

WOw - that's about all I can muster - WOW. You really are amazing. I tell my own son, who is in First Grade, that he needs to use his "big, I mean business voice" when dealing with some of the meanies on his basketball team. He's such a sweet boy, and so patient and kind...kids sometimes walk all over him. So frustrating to watch that happen. I wish he had a teacher like you! {Don't get me wrong, we love his teacher}

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Lauren Blackmon said...

I can't wait to use these ideas. I just blogged about you today and am giving you a lovely blog award. Come grab your button and visit.
-Lauren
www.weeklyhive.blogspot.com

Erin Sample said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I'm am very interested in this conscious discipline and can't wait to read more. Did you start this year?
Also, thanks for all these St. Patrick's Day freebies!
Erin
FanaticAboutFirst

Jackie said...

I love this blog & will have to read more about CD from your other posts. Thank you so much for all the St. Patty's Day freebies!!! These are awesome.
Jackie
jackie@acsnet.com

Unknown said...

I love this post! I am going to look for the Shubert books right now! Thanks!
First with Franklin

Heather Mathews said...

Hi Heather! I'm so glad you came to visit my blog. I always like to meet another Heather! I love "Booger Monkey". I had a "Sir Pukes-a-lot" in September.

Erika said...

Heather,
Thanks for sharing your CD ideas. I love the Shubert books. I had some booger monkey name calling just last week. Thanks for the refresher because some days it's just easier to say the wrong things!

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Chrissy said...

I'm going to have to look for that book. Thanks for the freebies too!
 Chrissy

First Grade Found Me

Mrs. Egley said...

Love the freebies - thanks so much

Diane
Kindergartenafunplacetobe.blogspot.com

Joanne and Suzanne said...

Thanks for the freebie . . . the kids will love the dice addition game!

meadowt said...

Thanks for all the freebies, my kiddos are going to be so excited!
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Jackie Higgins said...

Great freebies! We did a little coin sorting for St. Patrick's Day today-- so using that same math theme. I think your freebies might be a little advanced for my little guy so maybe I'll pin them for next year!!
Also, I haven't heard of CD before but I love all the modeling that is involved and I'll have to do more research. I always tell my boys to use their words but they never know what to say! lol

Unknown said...

Thanks for the freebies! I've never heard of the Shubert books but I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm also catching up on all your CD posts. :D

mcoop1125 said...

Thanks for the freebies! Looking forward to using Race to the Rainbow after spring break!
Michelle

Rachel Jones said...

I'm not sure how you stumbled upon me, but I am so glad you did! Thanks for your kind words! :-)
Your blog is very,very cute and I am SO thankful for your printables!

If you're logged into blogger, my follow button should be on the banner at the top of the page. I'll look into getting one a little more clear :)

Happy Spring Break....and Happy Birthday Week!!

Mrs. Lindsey said...

Everything is oh so cute! I absolutely love the race to the rainbow addition game. I will be "borrowing" that one. :)

Tangelia C. said...

Thanks for the freebies! You always have so many great ideas! I love hearing about them!

Ms. Moriconi said...

Hi Heather!

Thanks for all of the really cute freebies!I can't wait to try them out! My kids will love them! I sent you some Smart Notebook file freebies through email but I'm not sure if they actually sent. Let me know if you did not get them and I'll try it again!

Jeannine
First Grade Gallery~Lessons for Little Learners

Apple for the Teacher said...

Hi Heather!!! Thanks for visiting my site..a little while ago! :)I know what you mean about spending all your time on blogs or pinterest. Where am I now, rather than doing the plans I set out to do tonight!? haha Love your blog, and you couldn't have posted St. patty's stuff at a better time..was just thinking, "what am I going to do Friday??"

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all of your work. Your ideas are so great and your work it such great quality. I teach Kdg and many of your items are super for our grade too. I can't wait to have them do the dice game!
Thank you for your poems the other day too. I shared them with some co workers that needed a lift!

Jayne Gammons said...

Thank you, thank you sweet Heather! Your kind words on my blog remind me to stay on task. Sometimes I'm just a blog "taker"...I've got to make more time to be a blog "giver" and keep posting. :)
Also, I'm curious about the CD approach...I'll be looking up more about that.
Your personality comes through in your great blog and I'm your newest follower. Thanks Booger Monkey!
Jayne
abcsofreading.blogspot.com

Kimberlee Fulbright said...

aww..love the Race to the Rainbow addition game!! :) Thanks for sharing!

jen said...

heather--thank you for all the great ideas!! you really are an inspiration :o)

i awarded you the lovely blog award! come by and check it out :o)

Suzanne from Krazy Town said...

Great advice! I think we all struggle with how to help children react when they are frustrated or hurt. I even know a few grown-ups who need to read this book!

travel teach and love said...

Heather, I am so glad that you found me through the linky party! It's a huge coincidence because I literally JUST introduced this tattle strategy to my class today on a whim after reading this post a couple nights ago! Thank you SO much. I'm going to have to check out your other posts about CD and have a look-see on the website.
- Amanda
http://inspiredinsecond.blogspot.com/

HoJo said...

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I hadn't even heard of either book you mentioned, so that is greatly appreciated! I may have to use them in the future... I'm your newest follower - although I know I've "blog stalked" you before, so I'm not really sure why I wasn't already following. Love your stuff! =)

Stacy said...

Heather...

I love you! You always make me feel so great and lift my spirits. I am OK ...I promise...just struggling to be a good teacher and blogger these last few weeks I feel like. I hope to be back soon. Seriously, your sweet words always touch my heart so.

I hope one day we can meet face to face and share a REAL hug! I know you say I touch you but please know that you most definitely do the same for me each day. I signed up for your blog updates by email an they are always such a highlight in my day.

Love ya' girl!
Stacy
2nd Grade Paradise

Sharon Dudley said...

Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog! I truly feel honored, because your posts are so honest and insightful. Thanks again!

Sharon Dudley, NBCT
http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

Hi Heather,
Thank you so much for coming by to visit and leave such sweet comments on my blog. I'm SOOOOOO glad that I found you, your posts are all wonderful. I'm glad to see we are not the only school who has the flip-flop debate each year. Thanks for all you do.
Stacy

Unknown said...

Heather,
I love the fact that you have such a wonderful heart and that God is the center of it. You inspire me, not only as a teacher but as a person. I am starting to read the CD book that you spoke of in the latest post and had a picture of. I am with you on having to change the way I was taught in college. It is a scary venture for me. Also, I am hoping to maybe see some difference in my classroom before we get out for the summer. Thank you for all of your hard work and for sharing your thoughts and your talents.

Jen :) said...

Fun site!! Love the freebies and the footsie post. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Margaret Louise said...

I love this, but unfortunately will be taking away the, terrible but funny, moniker "Booger Monkey". I truly laughed out loud at that! Of course I won't call anyone that though (to their faces, anyway!). Thanks for following my blog, and I will certainly be following your's now!!
Margaret
http://tangledupteaching.blogspot.com