Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Gift of a Teacher

Merry Christmas sweet friends. I hope you are enjoying your holiday and are finding time to see the blessings that are all around us. I am blessed by the gift God gave us in His son because without the manger there would be no cross.

Last week as I was gathering the goodies for my gift to my kiddos I realized that what I really wanted to give them was not something I could wrap or buy. One of the gifts that would make a difference would be to give them the best teacher that I could be. Yes, I hope they remember the fun activities we do but I would rather them remember how I made them feel.

I want to give them a teacher who has A Heart of Patience because we all have so many things going on that make life stressful. I want my words to help them when things are going wrong and I want to lift them up with encouraging words that make them strong.

I want them to find magic in the books of a book and show them small miracles that others overlook. I want to remember that when I look at them I behold the future...even when that scares me!

Seeing our kiddos as the future seems to get more difficult and difficult each year because teaching becomes more and more stressful and the dynamics of our classrooms keeps changing...and not always as we see for the best. I want to give my kiddos the gift of taking these difficult and stressful situations as opportunities to help them become kind and caring individuals.

I want to give them a teacher that sees them with Eyes of the Heart. Eyes that see the good and eyes that see past the facade and the behaviors. Eyes that see everyone with love because God loved me first and I am a sinner that is not perfect too.

I want to give them the teacher in the mirror that is enough because we often forget that teacher when we become discouraged by all of the obstacles in our way. I want to remember I am teaching a child and not just a curriculum. I want to see my kiddos with growth glasses that see achievements both big and small that data on a paper does not show.

I want to give them the gift of giggles because our days need to be full of joy. The smiles and laughter of our kiddos will be remembered in our hearts long after memories of benchmark tests fade from our brains.

I want to give them the gift of a classroom that is a special place because when they walked into my classroom they walked into my heart.

I want to give them the gift of a childhood as much as I can in the 7 precious hours I have them at school.

To you, I want to give you the gift of knowing that Because of You a difference is being made.

As you celebrate Christmas and the holidays, know that you are giving your children something precious and priceless...you are giving them the gift of a teacher.


From My Heart to Yours,

11 heart notes:

kinder-gardening said...

Every time I visit your blog, I leave feeling more peaceful. You are such a gift to my teacher heart. Happy holidays to you!

Mrs. Bartel's School Family (Alyce) said...

Love this very much. An important reminder to me as I prepare for the second half of the year. Merry Christmas to you!
Alyce

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

Heather,
Your students are so luck to have you in their lives. It is true the best gifts are not tied up in bows. The best gifts are those from the heart. Merry Christmas.

Shannon said...

Thank you for the reminder that we do all we do for the Lord and not for men. Sometimes we can get bogged down in the classroom and all the junk that comes from others--not the kids, but the adults! Your post made me remember that when I take time with the Lord each day that I have the heart of love and patience for my students. I needed that. Blessings to you and yours. I appreciate your posts very much.

Miss DeCarbo said...

Every time I visit your blog I am uplifted and reminded of all of the goodness teaching holds for us and for our students. God has certainly given you the gift of words, Miss Heather! Thank you for inspiring us and showing us the true meaning of what we do. Merry Christmas my friend! :)

Pamamom said...

I always feel so much better about teaching when I visit your blog! I have missed your posts! I think you put everything into perspective for me. I loved the Teacher in the Mirror post also.
Thanks for such a soothing post and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!
Pam
Visit Me At Teaching By The Sea!

Growing Firsties said...

Heather, Heather, Heather. Your heart and your words have me in awe. Thank you so much for sharing your gift!

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

So thank you for writing and for your work! Hope someday to meet at one bloggery thing or another. While writing my custom paper, I'm always happy to find interesting articles like yours.

Scott Reyes said...

Still there are more of the valuable points to be discussed in this regard, furthermore, it will bring around every good cause which is been in the mind of the students. motivation essays

Trendy Decorator said...

I feel more peaceful when i visit to your blog. You are such a gift to my teacher heart. Best event decorators in Chandigarh. Best event decorators in Chandigarh