Monday, August 27, 2012

More Than a Teacher and a PACKAGE from Squawkers

Hi sweet friends. I have missed checking in and sharing with you all that has been happening...let's just say CRAY CRAY.

*MRI and EEG for my mom...and we are still praying for answers
*a sister who broke her ankle in 3 places and had surgery PLUS  heading back to school with 3 girls and she is unable to drive
*a classroom makeover
*Back to School for me
*Stress because of the family health issues which then causes me not to sleep and triggers my Chrons and migraines

BUT God is great and has blessed my family in so many ways this past month. =)

Today we had our 1st day of school. I already love our sweet School Family. =)

I loved seeing all of my little ones come with ready confetti and jitter glitter in their hair. This is an activity I will do every year...so stinkin' cute!!!

We drank Jitter Juice and the BIG NEWS was the mystery package. I am sorry for no pictures but it was from Squawkers the Parrot (We are Price's Parrots). Squawkers is a parrot who visits our room. He watches for friends being helpful and kind. He moves and hides all over the room and even in different places in the school. He tries to trick us by pretending to look non-living. He helps us start our year long investigation of the different animal families.



In the package, he shared with us several parrot books for us to read. We will make a venn diagram comparing parrots(birds) to us (mammals). He also left us our names on sentence strips and a HUGE box of goldfish to play name bingo and other cover up games. He left us a color word poem puzzle, individual little jars of play-doh to practice making letters, numbers, words, and our lunch/id numbers.

He left parrot straws and magic balls.


The magic ball changes color if you are going to have a good school year. =)

I have made the magic balls for at least the past 9 years. The kiddos LOVE it and you don't even have to do it the first day. One year it was the second or third week. I still get a little paranoid that there will be one magic ball that I forgot to add the food coloring to...but my OCD has me checking and checking! Click here to go to the original link.

grab your magic ball poem by clicking on the picture above

As I started this year, I remembered that God put each one of my kiddos in my room for a reason. It is easy to forget with more rigorous standards and the pressure to dive into your curriculum as soon as possible every single day that we are met each day with little hearts that are fragile. We are MORE than a teacher...we are the Safe Keepers of the BEST each parent sends us...remember- They are not keeping the "good ones" at home on the shelf. =)


So, take a few minutes to read this poem and remember you might be a child's biggest blessing....you are leaving heartprints that will last a lifetime. =)

From My Heart to Yours,

24 heart notes:

Ash said...

First of all, prayers to you and your family.

I love the Magic Ball label. So adorable! And Squawkers is too cute! The kids must love him!

Here's hoping this week is less stressful for you!

Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

Raina said...

Fantastic poem, you should seriously make a book of all these poems. It would sell as a teacher's inspiration!! Good luck with all your family stuff. The people in the glass office often forget that we are people with lives and sometimes need to take a step back to take care of us. {{Hugs}}

AlyseC said...

Prayers to you and your family! My family is also going through hard time right now. The Magic Ball is so cute...I think I will do it when we come back in January for a New Year's resolution idea. You are fabulous!

Keep Calm and Apple On
Alyse

EC said...

I hope your stress eases and the health of your family improves! Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem!

Corinna said...

Love the Magic Ball activity and the poem is perfect. Thanks for sharing. Sending lots of Aloha to you and your family. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Aloha,
Corinna
Surfin' Through Second

Erica said...

I love Squawkers!
I am so sorry about all of the stress you are going through. I willpray for things to improve for you and your family.

Erica

Evelyn said...

Wow you have had quite the week. Get well wishes sent your way. Love the parrot gift idea. Be well.

Amy Johnston said...

My dad, who was/is a school administrator for many years always says "They're sending you the best they've got!!" I always try to remember that. Thank you for the sweet reminder. :)

Lisa R. said...

Sending prayers for you & your family. I love the poems that you write & this is such a great reminder of why we are chosen to be a part of these kids' lives. :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Cupcake said...

Sending prayers your way! I also do the magic ball with my kiddos!! --but I call it magic playdoh :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Sharon said...

Hey Heather!

I said a prayer for you and your family.

Can I say that I love that you say Cray Cray! I say that to my kids all the time and they think I'm Cray Cray! LOL!

Anyway, you were my first blog follower but I have since changed the title of my blog so I can use the same blog if I decide to after I become a teacher. I'd love if you would come follow me again! :)

Prayers for you and your family. Life sure is Cray Cray!

www.thetennesseeteacher.blogspot.com

Cindy Calenti said...

I LOVE your magic ball idea. What a great way to start the school year. I love "setting students up for success". I am delighted to be your newest follower!

Granny Goes to School

Julie Holzenthal said...

Heather, you are stronger than you know! I hope all this will soon be merely a memory and you can have a great year. I hope your magic ball changes color soon! I love this idea and have used it in the past. I now use the liquid water color in the ball instead of food coloring.

Unknown said...

Love your idea of the parrot who watches for friends who are kind to other friends! Thanks for following my blog! :) an exciting new journey for me!

www.playissmart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Sending prayers for your family and for you as you start your new year! Thanks for checking out my new blog! :)

Tammy said...

Oh sweet Heather, you have left a heartprint on me with all the encouragement, teaching techniques and creative ideas you share! I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

I just discovered your adorable Pete letter, word, sentence sort. I love, love, love it! In fact I purchased your Letter, Word, Sentence Sort Activities from your TpT store last year. I began using it with my sweet kinders this week. They loved the teddy bear cowboy sort!!! I can't wait to do the Pete Sort with them. Thank you so much for all you do for me! You are truly an inspiration!
Blessings,
Tammy

Owl Things First said...

I'm joining your growing list of prayer warriors. Praying for you in all circumstances! I'm thankful that God shines through you even in the midst of life's trials.

I have an owl that does silly things during the year. Maybe he could have a playdate with your parrot sometime!
Jenny
Owl Things First

Anonymous said...

How do I contact you? I couldn't find the email. I have questions about the Turtle Talk Bingo. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand the directions and I really want to use it. My email is dfitch@chisddevils.com Please contact me. Thanks so much.

Dee

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! I'm so excited to have a follower!!! And I will definitely post a picture of the kitty sometime :) Just wanted to say that I LOVE what you said about God putting your kids in your class for a reason. Such an awesome reminder to trust Him.
Love your blog! Bailey

mrssturdysclass.blogspot.com